The Best Lawn Mowers in Canada in 2023
We’ve gone through hundreds of lawn mower reviews to put this guide together, from the top push lawn mowers to the best electric options. Read on to check our list of the best lawn mowers in Canada and see which one is ideal for your needs.
Getting your lawn into tip-top shape while the warm days are around is always a worthwhile venture. Whether you’re looking for a new machine or getting a new top-rated mower from the get-go, our list is sure to help you find your perfect match so that you can spend less time researching and stressing, and more time tidying up the yard for backyard get-togethers and relaxation.
Our top picks
How to choose a lawn mower
- Push vs self-propelled vs riding – Choosing a lawn mower is not easy. First and foremost comes down to how much work do you want to exert while cutting your grass? Do you have a large yard that would benefit from a riding mower to get it done quicker and more efficiently? A small yard that a simple and basic push mower would work with? Be sure to decide what you want off the bat. According to The Spruce, push lawn mowers are only recommended for those with yards of 1/2 acres or less, whereas riding mowers are ideal for larger yards.
- Yard size and terrain – It might seem obvious but can be an overlooked factor. If you get a smaller mower that requires more gas and oil fills because you have a large yard, it may be best to get a self-propelled or riding mower. If your lawn is smaller, then you might not have to splurge on a big machine. It’s not just size, you also need to consider the terrain of your yard. If you have a flat yard, most types of lawn mowers may work for you. However, if you have hills and other obstacles, a self-propelled lawn mower will make it much easier for you.
- Power supply: Electric start vs Gas vs Battery – A great feature that more lawn mowers are equipped with these days is electric starts. If you’re looking for the easiest way to get your machine running – opt for an electric start option. However, if you really care about the power, gas mowers can do better with tough jobs, even though they can be slightly more complicated to use. There’s also the case for battery-powered lawn mowers, which don’t require cords and make it easier for you to cut the grass in different parts of your yard. Battery-powered mowers can be powerful, lightweight, and practical at the time of use, however, you obviously have to charge them after each use, so they can have enough power the next time you need them.
- Deck size: Like with other features, there isn’t a single ideal deck size for your lawn mower. This will depend on what you need and your lawn type. Deck sizes usually go from 16″ to 70″. Wider decks cover a larger area and reduce the time spent on each task, so they are great for large, flat lawns. On the other hand, smaller decks are great for yards with plenty of hills, litter corners, obstacles, and other types of plants, such as flowers. Smaller decks give you more control to cut the grass without damaging the design of your garden or yard.
- Washout port – It’s important to be able to clean and wash out your mower after you’ve cut the grass and lawn. Some are easier than others when it comes to cleaning after a session – make sure to choose one that you don’t mind dealing with.
- Storage – Storage space is always crucial. Do you need it to be vertically stored during winter up on the wall somewhere? Do you have a space for it by itself that fits just fine? Make sure the mower you choose will fit into where it needs to go.
For this guide, we spent more than 10 hours researching what makes the best lawn mowers and how to find the right one for your needs. We chose the best lawnmowers based on top-rated user reviews and peer sourced reviews so that we can bring you the best options available within Canada. Customer reviews and researched lawn mowers were top of their line and had favourable reviews throughout (we only took into consideration lawn mowers with more than four stars on average on review platforms, such as Amazon and Google Reviews.)
Best lawn mower (overall)
GreenWorks – 20in corded
A powerful and well-built electric mower, this top-rated choice will get every job done you need it to around the yard.
With a 20-inch steel cutting deck, this lawn mower will get through almost every thick or tall grass you can throw its way. User reviews have stated that this mower cut through their overgrown 15-ich and higher tall grass with no issues or problems, and no clogging or uneven cutting.
Best for small to medium-sized lawns, GreenWork’s electric mower can get through most grass and weeds. A caveat a few top-rated user reviews have pointed out is that it can clog or stutter a bit when dealing with very thick, wet grass while having it set to mulch or blow the clippings out the side – bagged it works great.
The 12-amp motor makes it easy to just plug into an extension cord and press the push-button to start to get going. A safety cut-off switch makes it safe to run. A cord retainer makes it easy to store up and out of the way near the handles.
Greenworks 25022 Lawn Mower Specifications:
- Deck size: 20 inches
- Run time: Corded
- Weight: 56 lbs
- Storage: Foldable handles
- Height adjustment: 7 levels
- Push button start: Yes
- Multiple grass clipping options such as mulch, bagged, etc.
- Powerful and sturdy.
- If your grass is thicker and wet, it may clog when using the mulch/blow clippings out the side.
Best push lawn mower
American Lawn Mower 1204
If you have a smaller yard and want something easy like a traditional push lawn mower, the American Lawn Mower 1204-14 Deluxe model push mower can be just the ticket you’re needing.
It does come in three different models, a 14-inch with four blades, 14-inch with five blades, or a 16-inch with five blades. All do their job well and evenly, which can sometimes be an issue with basic, smaller push mowers.
It’s well built with steel parts, and the assembly is rather straightforward and easy so you can be up and mowing within a few minutes of getting your package. A ½ inch to 1 ½ inch cutting height is the cutting heights, and with the entire mower weighing in at 19 pounds, it’s easy to carry and move around when needed.
The blades can be cleaned fairly easily either with a spray down from a hose, or blown clean with a vacuum to get every last blade of grass out of the way for next time.
American Lawn Mower 1204 Specifications:
- Cutting width: 14 inches
- Blades: 4
- Wheel size: 8.5 inches
- Weight: 20 lbs
- Handle style: T-Handle
- Clean and precise grass cutting.
- Easy to assemble.
- Can be hard to use on larger and uneven lawns.
- May take some work to clean grass clippings off.
Best battery lawn mower in Canada
Swift Lithium Ion
This 40V brushless motor provides a quiet operation, long life, and powerful torque. If you’re looking for a battery-powered lawn mower that doesn’t require extension cords or plugins to be nearby – look no further.
With a visible battery cartridge, well-built design, quick plug-in start, and a simple lock-off button to ensure safety, the Swift lithium-ion battery-operated lawn mower is a great household addition for most yard sizes that are in need of cutting.
Eco-friendly and easy to use, there is no worrying about cords getting in the way, needing to be near plug-ins, and hassle-free with no gas, oil, or emissions like when using other gas-powered or corded mowers.
The easy-running wheels are robust and will handle most terrains with ease. The front wheels are six inches, while the back two are seven inches, and all of them have a well-designed traction pattern along with a directional stability tread for maneuvering and perfect lines.
A carrying handle that’s integrated with the housing makes it easy to store and move around when not in use.
Swift Lithium Ion Lawn Mower Specifications:
- Power source: Battery powered
- Weight: 35 pounds
- Cutting width: 37 inches
- Material: Plastic
- Grass box: 40L
- Powerful and well-built.
- Adjustable height.
- Lightweight and designed well.
- The battery may not last as long as you need it to.
Best self-propelled lawn mower
A self-propelled mower is ideal when dealing with a medium or larger yard. Less gruelling work for you, and easier to handle.
The 42+ minute battery runtime makes this great for medium sized yards, to get it all done in one go before you need to charge the battery. Cordless and easy to haul where you need it, there’s no need to worry about gas or oil.
An easy-lift bag makes it so that you can empty or move the bag once full in a single motion. The handles are collapsible and telescope around so that you can fold it for easy storage in a compact space, while the brushless motor makes it easy to mow down any thick grass in your way and is easy enough to clean as well.
Rear wheel drive ensures better traction and force as it goes through your yard, and the push start button makes the entire thing much easier than traditional lawn mowers that require a lot of force and time spent with start cords.
RYOBI Lawn Mower Specifications:
- Cutting width: 4 inches
- Number of positions: 7
- Battery capacity: 6 Ah
- Self-propelled rear-wheel drive allows for more traction on rougher terrain.
- Easy to operate.
- Compact storage.
- Battery may not last as long as some users would like.
Best electric lawn mower
Craftsman CMEMW213 Electric Lawn Mower, 20-Inch, Corded, 13-Ah
A 13 Amp motor and a 20-inch deck make this a contender for any tall grass, with adjustable heights for your perfect lawn.
Corded and electric, this lawn mower doesn’t require much skill or time to put together. The 3-in-1 capacity allows you to rear bag your lawn clippings, mulch, or discharge it to the side while the steel winged blade makes for short work of tough, tall grass.
The easy-to-fold handle allows it to be stored vertically, and in general, it is great for most users that want a lighter lawn mower that will still get the job done. Be sure that you have a long extension cord to use with it that will reach where you need it to in your yard or backyard.
Craftsman CMEMW213 Electric Lawn Mower Specifications:
- Weight: 20.83 pounds
- Deck size: 20 inches
- Dimensions: 85.85 x 55.75 x 38.25 cm
- Material: Plastic
- Power source: Corded electric
- Allows for vertical storage.
- Powerful through tall grasses.
- Easy to assemble.
- Make sure to have an extension cord to use for longer distances.
Best cordless lawn mower
Black & Decker Cordless
This battery-powered cordless mower has six height adjustment settings for any length of grass you’d like your lawn to be and included two batteries plus their charger.
The rear grass bin can hold up to 9.5 gallons and the folding handles make for easy storage. A no-mess/ no hassle mower that doesn’t require having to deal with gas or oil, trips to the gas station, or even engine maintenance. A simple start/stop button and you’re on your way. It works great going on inclines or declines, and the 40V Max Power lithium-ion batteries last for nearly an hour per battery.
The battery itself is easily removed through the touch of a button and can be recharged easily with the included charger. A single lever height adjustment can be done that raises or lowers all four wheels at once, while the cutting height range can be adjusted between one to four inches, depending on what you’re aiming for while mowing the lawn.
Black & Decker Cordless Lawn Mower Specifications:
- Power source: Battery powered
- Material: ABS plastic
- Weight: 38 pounds
- Height of cut: 1.2″ and 3.2″
- Type: Cordless (40 V)
- Grass clippings: Bags, mulches, side discharges
- Dimensions: 71.12 x 48.26 x 40.64 cm
- Height adjustability for grass length.
- Includes two batteries.
- Folding handles for easy storage.
- Mulching option isn’t great, and users have noted it can struggle with dense, wet grass.
Best gas lawn mower
Powersmart gas engine
A 21-inch steel mowing deck makes this a powerhouse lawn mower for tall grass.
There are five position height adjustments, from one inch to three. The 3-in-1 side discharge, mulch, or bagged lawn trimmings makes it easy to choose your preferred method, while the 8-inch rear wheels make it easier to push as you go, saving you some strain and hard work.
The foldable handle can be easily folded down without tools for vertical storage. Be sure to choose the gas and oil stated in the manufacturer’s manual upon purchasing, just to ensure a smooth and long-lasting machine that can mow your yard and backyard for years to come.
A 21-inch mowing deck allows for a wide range with high durability that can tackle larger areas in a snap. A caveat though is that since it does require gas, a huge yard might not be the best choice for this mower, as the push mower and gas quantity would make it a harder job. That said, user reviews do praise it for being great with smaller to medium-sized yards.
PowerSmart Lawn Mower Specifications:
- Weight: 63 pounds
- Power source: Gasoline powered
- Style: Adjustable
- Engine power: 170CC
- Drive type: Self-propelled
- Working width: 22″
- Grass bag: 14.6 Gal
- Mowing height: 5 positions (1.2″-3.5″)
- Five adjustable cutting depths.
- Quick folding for storage.
- Not great for large yards.
Common questions about lawn mowers
How to sharpen lawn mower blades?
Lawn mower blade sharpening can be done either manually or using machines such as using an angle grinder. To sharpen your blades by machine, be sure to:
- Wear protective gear, including ear gear for noise.
- Use a vise to clamp the blade securely in place.
- Align the blade of the grinder up with the blade side of your mower blade.
- Move the grinder back and forth across the blade and follow the angle that’s already there and be sure to even out any rough spots.
- Repeat the process.
If you’re sharpening a blade by hand, make sure to use all protections as well. Sharpen the edge of the blade using a 10-inch file or a grindstone. Push the file in one direction and be sure not to saw it back and forth – you don’t want to create a rough, uneven surface. Even out any rough spots. Turn over to the other edge and repeat until smooth and sharpened.
How to start a lawn mower?
A traditional push mower has some easy steps to get started!
- Make sure that there is both gas and oil in your mower.
- Press the big ‘Primer’ button a few times to get it going.
- Pull the lever or bar near the top of the handle towards yourself when you’re standing behind it / in the position to start mowing.
- Pull the starting cord several times until the motor starts.
For riding mowers, make sure it has gas, adjust the throttle control/’choke’, push the primer button, and pull the starting cord until your mower starts up.
What’s the best kind of oil for a lawn mower?
10W30 is a common motor oil grade for most lawn mowers. Your owner’s manual will tell you exactly which grade works best for your machine.
How to change lawn mower oil?
Changing the oil in your lawn mower is relatively simple as a DIY.
- Run your mower for 10 – 15 minutes to warm up the oil inside.
- Turn off the engine and disconnect the spark plug wire.
- Drain the gas from your mower or you can place a plastic bag over the gas tank and screw on the cap to prevent leaks and mixtures.
- Insert an oil extractor tube and begin to pump oil from the engine. Set it aside once finished and you can take it to the nearest dealership that will recycle old oil.
- Finally, add your new oil to your lawn mower. Whichever oil works best for your machine is generally stated within your owner’s manual for the make and model.
How to winterize lawn mower?
Winterizing your lawn mower is important when you live in a colder climate (hello Canada) and these steps are helpful when doing so:
- Empty it fully of fuel.
- Remove the battery and spark plug.
- Replace or clean your filters and change the oil.
- Scrape down the mowing deck and clear any debris.
- Clean and lube the mower and sharpen your blades if they need it.
How to fix a lawn mower?
Depending on what’s wrong, such as not starting, there could be several reasons that you need lawn mower repair. Try these few things first:
- A dirty, loose, or disconnected spark plug could be the culprit. Check it, clean it, and re-connect/tighten.
- Air filter may be dirty and in need of replacement
- Fuel might not be reaching your engine. Give the side of the carburetor a tap to get fuel moving again, if not, you may have to replace it.
Why is my lawn mower smoking?
Blue or white smoke coming from your lawn mower can indicate burning oil. Overfilling the crankcase with oil is a common culprit, or an air leak that’s causing the carburetor to not get enough air.
What is a self-propelled lawn mower?
A self-propelled lawn mower does most of the work for you, you just have to guide it. Unlike a regular push mower that just simply rotates the blades while you push the mower – a self-propelled model mechanically pushes the mower forward using a gearbox connected to either the front or back wheels.
The Best Garden Hoses in Canada
A garden hose is essential during Spring, Summer and Fall.
The Best Indoor Garden Kits & Herb Gardens
These indoor garden kits will let you keep gardening even when it’s cold outside.
The Best Smart Sprinkler Controllers of 2023
Keep your lawn fresh for less money and work.
The Best Compost Bins in Canada
Whether you are growing flowers in pots on your balcony, your plants need nutrients.